Speech contests are an optional but important part of the Toastmasters program. Toastmasters International provides guidelines on what speech contests can be held and guidelines for holding these contests. The District 32 Council, made up of Club Presidents and VPEs, has selected to hold only the Evaluation Contest and International Speech Contest in the spring.
As is always the case, Toastmasters International is the definitive source for all speech contests information. The most current rules and resources can be found on their speech contest website. The following resources are provided for quick access for District 32 clubs.
Official Speech Contest Kits
Contestants present a five- to seven- minute speech on any subject they choose. All districts must conduct this contest.
- International Speech Contest Kit [zip file]
Contestants observe a five-to seven-minute test speech and then present a two-to three-minute evaluation of the test speech.
- Evaluation Speech Contest Kit [zip file]
Club & Member Eligibility
- To be eligible to compete in any official Toastmasters speech contest, a member must:
1. Be a paid member of a club in the Area, Division, and District in which they are competing.
a) The club must also be in good standing. b) A new, dual, or reinstated member must have dues and membership application current with World Headquarters.2. Maintain eligibility at all levels of any contest. If at any level it is determined that a contestant was ineligible to compete at any previous level, the contestant must be disqualified. This disqualification must occur even if the ineligibility is discovered at a later level and has been corrected.
- International Speech Contestant must have completed Pathways Level 1 & 2 in Club Central, or 6 Speeches in Legacy Competent Communicator.*
(*Only members who joined Toastmasters prior to the rollout of Pathways in the region they are competing (Region 1 rollout date was December 5, 2017) can apply speeches from the Competent Communication manual to speech contest eligibility.)
D32 International & Evaluation Contests dates:
- District Contest Training 10/22/2022
- Area Contest Dates: Feb 6 – Feb 28, 2023
- Division Contests: March 11 – April 1, 2023
- District Contests: May 6, 2023
Zoom Master 101
Being the Contest Zoom Master