Speech contests are an optional but important part of the Toastmasters program. Toastmasters International provides guidelines on what speech contests can be held and guidelines for holding these contests. The District 32 Council, made up of Club Presidents and VPEs, has selected to hold only the Evaluation Contest and International Speech Contest in the spring.
As is always the case, Toastmasters International is the definitive source for all speech contests information. The most current rules and resources can be found on their speech contest website. The following resources are provided for quick access for District 32 clubs.
2022-2023 Contest Updates:
New International Speech Contestant Eligibility: Contestants must have earned certificates of completion in Levels 1 & 2 of any path in the Toastmasters Pathway learning experience or earned a Distinguished Toastmaster. Click here to see other rulebook changes.
Eight weeks prior to the Area Contest, if an Area has four (4) assigned clubs or fewer in good standing, clubs may submit two (2) contestants to compete in the Area contest.
Divisions with four (4) assigned Areas or fewer (that is every Division in District 32), the two (2) highest-placed available contestants for each Area will advance to the Division contest.
There will be no contests for Areas without an appointed Area Director. See 2022/2023 Leadership for your Area status.
Official Speech Contest Kits
Contestants present a five- to seven- minute speech on any subject they choose. All districts must conduct this contest.
- International Speech Contest Kit [zip file]
Contestants observe a five-to seven-minute test speech and then present a two-to three-minute evaluation of the test speech.
- Evaluation Speech Contest Kit [zip file]
Club & Member Eligibility
- To be eligible to compete in any official Toastmasters speech contest, a member must:
1. Be a paid member of a club in the Area, Division, and District in which they are competing.
a) The club must also be in good standing. b) A new, dual, or reinstated member must have dues and membership application current with World Headquarters.2. Maintain eligibility at all levels of any contest. If at any level it is determined that a contestant was ineligible to compete at any previous level, the contestant must be disqualified. This disqualification must occur even if the ineligibility is discovered at a later level and has been corrected.
- International Speech Contestant must have earned certificates of completion in Levels 1 & 2 of any path in the Toastmasters Pathway learning experience or earned a Distinguished Toastmaster.
D32 Contest Resources
- District Chief Judge, Brian Bezenek email@example.com
- Nerdmasters Speech Contest Master Workbook
- Nerdmasters Timeline & Script
- Nerdmasters Zoom Settings Configurations
- Timing Flags
- Online Contest Disclaimer
- Nerdmaster Contest Ballot Counting Speadsheet
- Electronic Contest Console
- D32 Contest Volunteer Registration
D32 International & Evaluation Contests dates:
- Area Contest Dates: Feb 6 – Feb 28, 2023
- Division Contests: March 11 – April 1, 2023
- District Contests: May 2 & May 6, 2023
Areas Dates: (Online)
- Area 41, 42,43 February 17 @ 6:00 PM Pacific
- Areas 31, 32, 33, 52, 53, 61, 62, 63: February 18 @ 9:00 AM Alaska
- Contest Chair: Vicki Randolph
- Chief Judge: Amy McFarlane
- Contest Toastmaster: Kyle Hall
- Meeting ID: 841 8132 8266. Passcode: 215124
- Areas 21, 22, 23: February 25 @ 10:00 AM Pacific
- Contest Chair: Judy Stein
- Chief Judge: Joanna Tavera
- Contest Toastmaster: Justin Shaputis
- Zoom Meeting Meeting ID: 845 9214 4225. Passcode: 099162
- Areas 11, 12, 13: February 25 @ 2:00 PM Pacific
- Contest Chair: Troy Stevens
Division Dates: (Online)
- Division A & C: March 25 @ 10:00 AM Pacific
- Contest Chair: Charlotte Morris
- Division B: March 18 @ 10:00 AM Pacific
- Division D: March 10 @ 6:00 PM Pacific
- Division E & F: March 11 @ 8:30 AM Alaska
Evaluation May 2 @ 6:00 PM Alaska / 7:00 PM Pacific
International Speech May 5 @ 6:00 PM Alaska / 7:00 PM Pacific
Event Sponsors: Professionally Speaking Toastmasters
Program Quality Director: Debbie Baker firstname.lastname@example.org
Zoom Master 101
Being the Contest Zoom Master